Potato Gratin with Onions and SagePrep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced onion
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups potato, sliced into disks
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup heated Guida's Dairy milk
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a casserole dish or cast iron pan.
- Heat half the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, thyme, sage and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are lightly caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Season with half a teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste. Spread in the gratin dish. Return the skillet to medium heat, and add the remaining oil.
- Toss the potatoes in the flour, letting the excess fall away. Add it to the pan and cook until it begins to brown in places on both sides, about 7 minutes.
- Add the parsley, season with salt and plenty of pepper, cook for 1 minute more. Layer the potatoes over the onions, cover with the cheese, then add the milk.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes, then uncover, add the bread crumbs, and bake until the top is browned and the liquid absorbed. Around 25 minutes.